Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bing it on!

The search engine war has seemingly been over for quite some time now. Google is king and everyone has to accept it, right? Well, Microsoft, the czar of a different sector of computing, has decided to see about that.

Bing is the name and helping you cut through the search clutter is the game. To introduce its latest innovation, Microsoft's advertising establishes the problem of how much time and energy we waste on search engines (ahem, Google) that lead us in the wrong direction. They then sell Bing as the solution to that very problem. Bing is not a search engine, but a "Decision Engine." I checked out Bing and I am not exactly convinced that is the case. It's a little more eye-friendly than Google, but is it a revolutionary breakthrough good enough to dethrone King Google? I'm not so sure.

I do like the Bing campaign, however. It makes me think twice about Google and the search mess that's certainly exists. And I like the thought of a decision engine. Is it all sizzle and no filet? Time will probably answer that.





No comments: